7-Zip Review: The Best Thing That Can Be Done With The Help Of 7 Zip Is That, We Can Easily Compress and extract 7z, TAR, Zip and more file formats easily with 7-Zip! Popular as free and open source file extractor software, 7-Zip works via the command line, with Windows 10, 8, 7, XP and Vista. It works with Windows shell, is easy to use, is completely free for both personal as well as commercial use and supports encryption.
Pros Of 7-Zip:
- It has the ability to integrate with the Windows Explorer context menu
- The setup does not attempt downloading extra software
- It can be efficiently used in a commercial environment
- It has the ability to calculate checksums from the context menu
- 7-Zip supports encryption when new archives are being created
- It can be used to build self – extracting, executable archived files (i.e. .exe files)
- Advanced capabilities – This is a straightforward and easy to use application. It can be used by a novice without much trouble, as far as the basic features are concerned. Also, there are sophisticated features for the advanced users.
Cons Of 7-Zip:
- The portable option is not available for this application.
- Compression Process – The compression using this app takes a little longer compared to the time taken by some alternative programs. Also, while in progress, it requires a lot of system resources.
Formats that 7-Zip can extract files from:
7z, ZIPX, Z01 (Z02, etc.), ZIP, DEB, MSI, DMG, NTFS, TGZ, ZIP, VDI, ARJ, CRAMFS, MBR, DOC, TBZ, TBZ2, PPT, XZ, VMDK, BZ2, CPIO, LZMA, EXE, TAZ, QCOW2, XLS, VHD, CAB, CHW, LZH, FAT, TAR, RAR, XAR, WIM, CHW, GZIP, GZ, ISO, HFS, LHA, HXS, RPM, SWM, SQUASHFS
Formats supported by 7-Zip for Compression:
7Z, XZ, WIM, TAR, GZIP, BZIP2 and ZIP
Security options available:
With 256 bit AES encryption, 7-Zip can protect 7Z and the ZIP archive formats with a password.
The Bottom Line:
After using a number of compression and decompression software, I can surely say that 7-Zip ranks among some of the finest ones. It is easy to use, whether you need to create archives or unzip files. Also, because it is installed closely with the Windows Shell, extracting archives by right clicking becomes simple. There is also a built – in file browser which can be used to extract and locate archives or to add files/ folders to a new archive. It is similar to the Windows Explorer. Additionally, there is the 7-Zip portable, which can be carried around in a USB and used on the go. Though it is not available on the official website on 7-Zip, you can always grab the one available at PortableApps.com. It is updated regularly and works very well.
Being free and easy to use, the pros of 7-Zip far outweigh the few drawbacks, which are minor and can be ignored. If you are on the lookout for an effective alternative for WinZip or other similar software, this a great options that you may consider.